Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thing #7 - Just for fun

At first, it was hard for me to think of a "technology-related thing" that interests me this week. It has become such a part of my life that I don't really think about it most of the time. I check my e-mail accounts and facebook more than once a day. I research news or answers to questions online. I use online catalogs and databases to find information. I update my webpage for parents to learn about what's new in our classroom. This week for the first time I set up the option for parents to place their own orders for Scholastic Book Club. Unfortunately, there have been problems logging in so far, so I can't say too much either way about it. I'm looking forward to families being able to place their own orders, pay for their own books without having to send me checks, and earn more books and points for our classroom library!

I use facebook more than I'd like to admit, but still less than many people (I hope!). I had an interesting conversation with an old friend I ran into last week. We were close in high school, drifted apart, and both wound up teaching. We would rarely chat when meetings brought us together in the same place. After we both wound up on facebook and ran into each other while shopping, we talked for nearly an hour! The conversation included how awkward it can be to bridge the facebook to reality gap; when running into a facebook "friend" in the real world. We've both admitted to avoiding that "friend." I signed up at the request of a real life friend, but I read posts by aquaintances as much as anyone else. Sometimes those are more interesting since I don't have the context of the person's life to provide some background for what they have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment